Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Our Body: The Universe Within"

I am big fan of the International Museum of Surgical Science.  They are a lot of neat stuff there, including one of the last iron lungs! There are also one of the few remaining mansions on Lake Shore Drive, and the only one open to the public.   So imagine how excited I was when I got 50% tickets for their new exhibit "Our Body: The Universe Within."


Well we went and to be honest it wasn't all that great.  The individual exhibits weren't that interesting, and the craftsmanship appeared to be poor.  I am sure it is a painstaking long process to preserve the bodies in a such a fashion, but it seemed like the creator rushed through it.  Even the support structures were  subpar; PVC cut unevenly and missing digits.

Gunther von Hagens' Body Worlds is much better.  I have seen it twice already and I am planning on seeing when it comes back to the Museum of Science and Industry this spring.  Von Hagens' work is much better, it really gives a new prespective on the human body.


No comments:

Post a Comment